Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Votes Are In: Winners Of The Smithsonian's 'Art Of Video Games' Poll

Apologies for my lack of recent updates! I could bore you with the details of how my super exciting life got in the way of writing about video games, but I'll spare you the b.s. and we'll just jump right back into it. Cool? Ok then...

Last time, I mentioned that The Smithsonian Museum was polling the public about which games to feature in their upcoming exhibition 'The Art of Video Games'. The exhibition will be on display from March until September of 2012 (yes, 2012) and will explore "the 40-year evolution of video games as an artistic medium, with a focus on striking visual effects, the creative use of new technologies, and the most influential artists and designers". The results are in and I thought I'd offer my comments on a few of the winning games.

One small caveat before we begin; there are many games AND systems that have been selected for this exhibition that I'm relatively unfamiliar with for one reason or another. I love games, but I can't play everything. After all, I'M JUST ONE MAN!! In the interest of honesty, I'll be sure to point out the winners and nominees that I remain in the dark about, and I'll post a link to the full list of winners at the bottom of this post. Sound good?


The Atari Era

Action:

Pac‐Man

So right off the bat we have a bullshit choice. This is a clear example of well known name beating out a more deserving game. In fact, there are lots of crap choices like this throughout this list. I guess that's what happens when a government run museum puts on a video game exhibition! Ho ho! A joke about the inefficiency of government! At any rate, it's well-known that the Atari version of the original Pac-Man was a travesty. Horrible graphics and sound coupled with gameplay that barely resembled the arcade original made for a game that was best avoided. Alas, it's been over 30 years and our memories have faded...well, not mine, but still. Haunted House was a much better game in my opinion.


Runners up: Haunted House, Tunnel Runner

Adventure:


Pitfall!

This is a solid choice. Cool graphics, good sound, tight controls, good challenge. Pitfall! is an absolute classic for sure. Adventure was cool as well (stab the dragon with the arrow and return the chalice to the castle) but E.T. has no business being nominated for anything that could even remotely seem positive. Much has been written about that colossal failure and I suspect the only reason it was nominated is because, once again, people still recognize the name. Why do people love that movie so much anyway?

Runners up: Adventure, E.T. The Extra‐Terrestrial

Target:

Space Invaders

You're kidding me, right? Look, I understand that Space Invaders was a smash hit in the arcades, but the Atari version looks like ass when compared to the other nominees. I mean, really! As an original game designed for the 2600 (and not an arcade port like the other two), Yars' Revenge should have gotten the nod, but I dunno, I guess those little invaders ARE sort of iconic.
Yars’ Revenge

Runners up: Missile Command, Yars’ Revenge

Combat/Strategy:

Combat

Another solid choice. Fitting too that a game called Combat should win the award for best combat game. This game is notable too for being an early two-player, head-to-head experience. Other than that I've got nothing. These games are older than hell and, frankly, I don't have as much love for the Atari 2600 as a lot of retro gamers. Let's move on, shall we?
Runners up: Star Raiders, Video Chess

The ColecoVision Era
Did anyone besides me have one of these? It was a cut above the Atari 2600 in terms of graphics and sound capabilities, and it featured a unique controller that had a prominent, telephone style 12 button keypad.

Action:
Donkey Kong

Fair enough. Donkey Kong is a classic game with memorable graphics and sound, and the ColecoVision system actually had the power to more or less give players the arcade experience. Still, in the 'artistic' sense, I'm not too sure that the stark black backgrounds of Donkey Kong really out shined the more detailed and colorful backdrops of either Jungle Hunt or Smurf.

Runners up: Jungle Hunt
, Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel’s Castle
Adventure:
Pitfall II: Lost Caverns

No argument here. Pitfall II was a very worthy follow-up to the original. Improved graphics, a soundtrack, and an actual end goal? Good stuff! Though if I'm being completely honest, I have to admit that I've never heard of the other two games in this category! Who cares anyway? Friggin' ColecoVision.

Runners up: Alcazar: The Forgotten Fortress, Gateway to Apshai

Target:
Zaxxon

I totally agree here. Zaxxon had a great look and it played extremely well. I give Buck Rogers props for being a decent looking, early rail shooter, but I remember Carnival being pretty dull graphics-wise.

Runners up: Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom, Carnival


Combat/Strategy:

Star Trek: Strategic Operations


I never played any of these games and I couldn't find any decent images for them either. I saw a YouTube video of Evolution that actually looked pretty interesting. You appear to start out as a single celled organism, eventually 'evolving' into a variety of different creatures.

Runners up: Artillery Duel, Evolution

The NES Era

Action:


Super Mario Brothers 3

I guess I can't really argue the fact that this is the best of the NES era Mario games, but in terms of art and graphics, I actually preferred the more colorful Super Mario Bros. 2. Mega Man games have always looked pretty good, but I don't think that Metroid belonged in the running here at all. As iconic and cool as that game was, it's graphics don't really hold a candle to Blaster Master... or Ninja Gaiden... or Castlevania...

Runners up: Metroid, Mega Man 2

Adventure:


The Legend of Zelda

Fairly good choice here. I love the original Zelda and all of its many iconic graphics, sounds, and characters. Shadowgate had some good graphics, but as a point-and-click adventure, most of the images remained static during gameplay....meh. Finally, this may sound like sacrilege to some, but I always thought that the graphics and sound of the original Final Fantasy left something to be desired. Take a look at it again... it's kind of clunky, right?

Runners up: Final Fantasy, Shadowgate

Target:


1943: The Battle of Midway

This is some bullshit right here. Who the fuck chooses 1943 over Life Force? I suspect some ballot stuffing on this one. Really people? 1943? 1943 is an ugly piece of shit compared to Life Force. That is a statement of fact. There is no room for interpretation.

Runners up: Top Gun, Life Force

Combat/Strategy:

Desert Commander

I was never much of a fan of the strategy genre back in the NES days, and I admit that I've never played any of these games. Anyone out there remember 'The Adventues of Lolo'? If you can call that a strategy game, I'd probably give that one my vote.

Runners up: North and South, Archon: The Light and the Dark

Sega Genesis Era

Action:

Earthworm Jim

What a slapdash collection of finalists we have here. I guess that people have a lot of love for this game, but I've never really understood the appeal. Eartworm Jim was a well crafted game, but in the end it was just another in a long line of decent, yet forgettable character/mascot side scrollers that were all the rage during the 16-bit era. Anyone remember Bubsy the Bobcat? Didn't think so. Moonwalker was kind of a generic game, and I suspect that it wouldn't have been nominated had Michael Jackson not been involved. Sonic CD was...yet another Sonic game. It might have looked a little better being a CD game and all, but I wouldn't call it innovative. I'm also surprised that Comix Zone didn't get a nomination in this category. That was a cool game with a great look.

Runners up: Sonic CD, Michael Jackson's Moonwalker

Adventure:

Phantasy Star IV

If you read my very first post then you should know how I feel about the original (i.e. offline) Phantasy Star series. I loved this game and I think it is an excellent example of the 16-bit era of RPG games. Great visuals and sound combine with memorable characters and a solid quest to create what is arguably the best game to carry the Phantasy Star name. I never played a whole lot of Flashback, but I do remember that it had some striking visuals and also that it played a lot like the original Prince Of Persia. Shining Force 2 was an excellent game, but I'm puzzled as to why they've chosen to call it an 'adventure' game as opposed to putting it in the 'combat/strategy' category.
Runners up: Flashback: The Quest for Identity, Shining Force 2

Target:

Gunstar Heroes

Love, love, LOVE me some Gunstar Heroes! It's like Contra on crack! Seriously, if you have the means, I can't recommend this game enough. It's so awesome, I'm surprised it even got nominated! Ranger X and Viewpoint did have some decent graphics for the time, but if we're talking shooters (and we are despite the fact that The Smithsonian calls them 'target' games) Gunstar Heroes is the obvious choice. Nice voting everyone!
Runners up: Ranger X, Viewpoint

Combat/Strategy:


Dune II: Battle for Arrakis

I got nothing here really. Again, I wasn't much into strategy games during the 16-bit era. Dune was a pretty cool movie, but I've never been motivated to try any of the games based on it. Screenshots for the Nobunaga's Ambition series always turned me off. To me they looked like PC games that were ported to the consoles. Not my scene! I remember hearing once that Herzog Zwei had a loyal cult following, but when I checked it out a few years ago and found it to be boring and difficult to pick up.
Runners up: Nobunaga’s Ambition, Herzog Zwei

Super NES Era

Action:

Super Mario World

Yeah, okay...another Mario game. I mean, don't get me wrong, I LOVE this game. In fact, it's my all-time favorite Mario game. Still, even I get a little tired of all the Miyamoto ass kissing. We get it, he's a visionary. How many of his games to we have to see in one exhibit? I would have given this one to Donkey Kong Country. It had a more unique look. And yes, I know that Miyamoto also created Donkey Kong...but he didn't work directly on this game, so HA! I should give props to those Star Wars games for the SNES as well. Though not terribly original in terms of gameplay, they were actually pretty fun. Moving on...
Runners up: Donkey Kong Country, Super Star Wars

Adventure:

The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past

Once again, great game, beautiful presentation...kind of a boring choice. I'd even go so far as to say that Link to the Past didn't innovate nearly as much as the original Zelda did. Don't blame me, I voted for Chrono Trigger. Chrono Trigger (and its wildly under appreciated sequel Chrono Cross) are required playing for any retro RPG fan, simple as that. And what's the fucking deal with Earthbound anyway? It's an ugly, clunky game. I just couldn't get into it.
Runners up: Chrono Trigger, EarthBound

Target:

Star Fox

Though the original Star Fox doesn't really look too hot today, the fast-paced action and polygon graphics were something of a revelation to console gamers when it was released in 1993. I like this choice. Gradius and Smash TV are both fine games, but Star Fox deserves the honor for its innovative graphics.
Runners up: Gradius III, Super Smash TV

Combat/Strategy:

SimCity

SimCity for the SNES wasn't half bad. Instead of doing a straight port of the PC version, they Nintendo-ized it by adding bright colors, iconic Nintendo characters, and a more user-friendly interface. Still, I wouldn't have chosen it over Act Raiser. In fact, Act Raiser was a lot like Sim City in that it had city building elements, but it also incorporated some decent side scrolling action scenes and boss battles to break things up a bit. Again, the well-known name beats out the more deserving game.
Runners up: Act Raiser, Syndicate
Nintendo 64 Era

Action:

Super Mario 64

And a bit more Miyamoto here! The living deity does it again! Super Mario 64 was pretty excellent. I even played through it again recently and found that despite its age, it's still surprisingly playable and fun. Banjo-Kazooie was basically a rip off of Mario 64, so I'm happy it didn't take the prize. I never played the Star Wars game. So many friggin' Star Wars games, who has time to play 'em all?
Runners up: Banjo‐Kazooie, Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire

Adventure:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

...aaaaaand a bit more Miyamoto here! Really guys? TWO Zelda games in one category? Well, I personally had more fun with Majora's Mask, but both of these games offer more or less the same experience gameplay wise. It's a toss up. Ocarina came first and seems to have a larger following, so there you go. I remember hearing mixed things about Paper Mario as a game, so I skipped it, but I remember liking the look of it. That counts for something, right?

Runners up: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Paper Mario

Target:

Goldeneye 007

Goldeneye gets a lot of love, but it's really just a lot of nostalgia. Look at this game now. Ugly, right? And those archaic controls! I'd have gone with Star Fox on this one. It wasn't leaps and bounds over the original, but it was an incredibly addicting shooter! I should also give some special love to Pilotwings. With that game, Nintendo took the flight sim, a mainstay of the PC gaming scene, streamlined it, and actually somehow managed to make it fun. Good stuff, that Pilotwings!
Runners up: Star Fox 64, Pilotwings 64

Combat/Strategy:

Worms Armageddon

I never actually played this version of Worms, but it IS a fantastic series in general. Graphics-wise, these games have never been mind blowing but they do have their own unique, retro, pixel-y flavor. If you've never tried a Worms game before, don't hesitate, they're a blast. I'm proud to say that I've never played a single game with Tom Clancy's name on the box. I don't know why, I'm just proud that I never have. Oh wait, Splinter Cell was a Tom Clancy game, wasn't it? Shoot, there goes my streak. I dunno...for some reason, realistic military action games have never really turned my crank. I'm weird that way.
Runners up: Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six, Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber

Playstation 1 Era

Action:

Metal Gear Solid

Yeah, Metal Gear Solid is a fine choice. Although it doesn't look nearly as "good" as it's many sequels, the original MGS was a revelation back in the day. In fact, I still LIKE the look of this game. It has a blocky, retro charm that works well with the over-the-top story. Oddworld was a lovely little game with some great characters and a unique art style, and I'll give props to Crash Bandicoot for being a decent series, despite the fact that it was essentially a rip-off of everything Mario and Sonic.
Runners up: Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, Crash Bandicoot: Warped

Adventure:

Final Fantasy VII

Without question, Final Fantasy VII is an absolute classic. Still, I wonder if nostalgia isn't playing too strong a role with this choice. Iconic in nearly every aspect of its presentation, the fact remains that there were better looking RPGs released for the PS1. Heck, there were better looking Final Fantasy games released for the PS1! Just saying. Of the three choices presented here, however, you have to give it to FFVII.
Runners up:Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, Grandia

Target:

Einhander

Einhander was a good side scrolling shooter. It was harder than shit, but it DID look and play extremely well. Never tried Colony Wars, but I LOVED Point Blank. Best light-gun game ever. Yes, better than Time Crisis.
Runners up: Colony Wars III: Red Sun, Point Blank

Combat/Strategy:

Final Fantasy Tactics

Hell YES! FF Tactics is the bomb! I played the living hell out of this game. Incredible art style, amazing music, deep character customization...great, great, great! What can I say about the other choices? Nothing. I never played them, so what could I possibly say? Funny, right? Can you tell I'm getting a little chippy?
Runners up: Command and Conquer: Red Alert, Carnage Heart

Playstation 2 Era

Action:

Shadow of the Colossus

I'm sad to say that I've never played any of the games. I hear that Shadow of the Colossus (and its pseudo-prequel Ico) is getting an HD remake, so I'm planning to check it out when it's released later this year. The God of War games have always looked good to me, but I've always avoided them for one reason or another. I'm not even sure why.
Runners up: God of War, Tony Hawk's Underground 2

Adventure:

Ōkami

I like this choice. Ōkami is a gorgeous game, even if it is more or less a Zelda clone. I recommend playing on Wii, as the motion controls work well with the "painting" mechanic found within the game. Honestly, this might be one of the best collection of finalists in this whole exhibition! All three of these games are stellar, though I preferred the original Kingdom Hearts.

Runners up: Kingdom Hearts II, Final Fantasy X

Target:

Gradius V

It occurs to me that I didn't actually play a whole lot of shooters during the Playstation 2 era. Gradius games have always looked good though. What's with the names of these other two? Silpheed? Espgaluda? Bless you...you might want to take some zinc.
Runners up: Silpheed: The Lost Planet, Espgaluda

Combat/Strategy:

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

More Metal Gear, huh? Well, if I was going to nominate a Metal Gear game from this generation I would have gone with MGS3 but that's just me. MGS2 represented a nice graphical upgrade from the original MGS, but I feel that part 3 really pushed the series forward with its new outdoor environments and "survival" elements. Since I've always actively avoided both mech games AND Tom Clancy games, I have to admit that I don't have any thoughts on the other games that were nominated. Sorry, I'm a jerk. I won't let it happen again,
Runners up: Armored Core 3, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Lockdown
Phew! So there you have it. My thoughts on MOST of the games chosen for The Smithsonian's "Art of Video Games" exhibition. Where are the selections for Xbox? Gamecube? friggin' INTELLIVISION? As I said, I limited myself to talking only about games and systems that I had a decent amount of experience with. Get off my back about it, will ya? If you want to see a complete list of winners and nominees head over this a way.

Finally, I think it sucks that they included a category for ColecoVision and not one for TurboGrafx-16. TG-16 was rad. That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment