Thursday, February 9, 2012

My Month In Games: January 2012

One of the things I thought I'd try to do this year is to do a monthly update wherein I talk about the games I'm currently playing...even if they aren't so current! So without further ado here's a look at what I played in January 2012.

Super Mario 3D Land - 3DS

What a wonderful way to start the year! As I've said in the past, Nintendo generally doesn't fuck up when it comes to Mario games, and 3D Land is no exception. The reviews have been great and deservedly so; this is a fun game. Playing and looking like a cross between and Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Bros. 3 (complete with the raccoon tail power-up), the game delivers loads of solid, satisfying 3D platforming. And speaking of 3D, that feature is used well here. This is one of the first 3DS games I've played where, even with the 3D slider turned all the way up, I didn't suffer any eye strain. In fact, with this game I realized that when it comes to 3D on the 3DS, some games get it right and some games don't. It's hard to describe what I mean unless you've experienced it yourself, but I suspect that 3DS owners will know what I'm talking about here. Anyway, fantastic game, loads of fun.... basically, if you like Mario games this is a must play.

Grade: A

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin - DS



I'm a big fan of Castlevania games, but only the 2D "Metroidvania" variety. Thankfully, this DS title is one such Castlevania game, and as such it's friggin' great. In fact, I might have to go so far as to say that this is my FAVORITE Castlevania title behind only the legendary Playstation 1 classic Symphony of the Night. Really, it's that good. Multiple playable characters, a lengthy quest, heaps of weapons, spells, and other power-ups, a boss rush mode.... everything there is to love about a 2D Castlevania game is here and finely tuned for the DS system. I give credit to Konami for keeping the 2D torch burning for this series, but I will admit that I'm getting tired of playing these games on handheld systems. C'mon Konami, release a 2D downloadable console Castlevania title, will ya? You could charge $30 for the main campain and steadily release more downloadable characters and maps at $10-$20 a pop. I know I'd pay it. Or how about a 2D Castlevania MMO, eh? Seriously, someone should pay me for all these amazing ideas.

Grade: B+

Ico - Playstation 3



Though they were originally released for the Playstation 2, critical favorites Ico and its pseudo-sequel Shadow of the Colossus were recently bundled together, given an HD facelift, and re-released for Playstation 3. I missed out on them the first time around and I was excited to give these games a try. Though it shows its age a bit in terms of gameplay mechanics, Ico is still a solid 3D puzzle platformer in the vein of Tomb Raider or the latter day Prince of Persia titles. I liked this game a lot. More puzzle than action, more aesthetic than kinetic, I can see why this game was lauded by critics yet relegated to cult status among gamers. It took me just 7 hours to complete the game (though it can be done in less than 2) so it's a little light on content and replay value. I can imagine that I might have been disappointed if I'd have paid full price for this game back in the day. Still, it's a beautiful game, easy to pick up and play, and the short length actually felt refreshing when compared to the bloated repetitive nature of many modern action platformers. I haven't had a chance to dive into Shadow of the Colossus yet, but I'm looking forward to that as well.

Grade: B-

Bust-A-Move Universe - 3DS



Kind of a funny story. I've been a Bust-A-Move fan for years, and I've probably purchased a version of this game for every single console I've owned since the 90's. You know the drill, use the launcher at the bottom of the screen to fire multi-colored bubbles toward the top of the screen. Line up three or more of the same color bubbles and they burst, thereby clearing the board. The main knock on this series is that, in the nearly 20 years since it was introduced, it has seen very little innovation in terms of its basic gameplay formula. That's completely true, but here's a question: who gives a shit? Just as with Tetris or Puzzle Fighter or whatever puzzle game you happen to like, classic gameplay doesn't NEED to be tweaked! I mention all of this because I recently came across this review of Bust-A-Move Universe over on 1up.com. They gave this game a grade of 'D+', chastising it for its lack of innovation, and griping that it had poor control. The funny thing is that after I saw that grade, I surfed right over to Amazon and purchased a copy.

"How bad could it be?", I thought, "It's Bust-A-Move, you can't screw that up!"

I was right of course. I experienced no problems with the controls and as far as classic puzzlers and innovation go, I say keep doing what you're doing, developers. If you have a golden goose, why kill it off? Sure, this game could have used online support for head-to-head matches, and sure it was a little short, but a 'D+'? That's a little harsh if you ask me. I'd go 'C/C+' with points taken away for shortness and lack of online multiplayer.

Grade: C+

No comments:

Post a Comment