Sunday, April 15, 2012

Bullet Hell Art

I came across this over at Kotaku and I thought I'd repost it....


It seems this fellow named Oliver Payne makes art pieces by creating stickers from Japanese "bullet hell" shooters and placing them on photos of Greek sculpture.


For those who are unfamiliar, the phrase "bullet hell" refers to a sub-genre of shoot-em-up games wherein the player must dodge wave after wave of enemy fire by finding 'safe spots' on the screen. The fine folks over at Cracked wrote a fun and informative article about them which you can read here.

Example of a "bullet hell" shooter. I don't know what the fuck is going on either.

I dig these. They have an irreverent, whimsical vibe that recalls the street art movement, and at the same time they make me nostalgic for classic shooters like Gradius, Blazing Lazers, and Raiden.


No comments:

Post a Comment