Monday, December 31, 2012

Console Glory 2012 Year In Review!!

Year in review time!  This time around I thought I'd take a look back at all the games I played this year, rank them, and offer my thoughts on a few of the standouts.  People love lists, ya know!  I'm going to split them up and rank the games that were released this year separately from games that were released in the past.  Sound good?  I'll start with the games released in 2012.


1. Resident Evil 6 - B+ (PS3)
2. Sakura Samurai - B+ (3DS)
3. Journey - B (PSN)
4. Kid Icarus: Uprising - B (3DS)
5. Double Dragon Neon - B- (PSN)
6. Resident Evil: Revelations - C+ (3DS)

That's it?!  I only played six games that were released this year?!  Yep, it's true.  I told you I'm always late to the party.  Fuck it.

1. Resident Evil 6


With a 'B+', Resident Evil 6 is indeed my game of the year.  I know that a lot of people hated on RE6, and it truly is far from perfect, but I still say that it's a solid game and I have spent a lot of time playing it since it was released in early October.  I don't think that it will hold my attention for years on end the way that RE5's multiplayer did, but yeah, RE6 is Console Glory's game of the year.  Suck it, haters!

2. Sakura Samurai


Sakura Samurai might seem like too slight a title to receive runner-up honors, but I think it's right where it belongs.  The precise gameplay, steep challenge, and perfect pacing made this downloadable 3DS title one of my top picks.  It doesn't overreach, and it doesn't try to be something that it's not...a bit of a rarity in console titles these days.

3. Journey


Journey is a game that was at the top of many people's best of 2012 lists.  I enjoyed it quite a bit myself, but I wasn't as blown away by it as some people were.  As striking as its design and visuals were, it felt a little shallow overall.  Walk toward a shining light in the distance... so deep!

4. Kid Icarus: Uprising


Kid Icarus: Uprising was an ambitious title that I'd have to put into the category of "almost awesome".  Unlike Sakura Samurai, Kid Icarus throws so much at you that I was surprised at how well it all held together.  Some aspects (weapons, characters) worked better than others (vehicles, controls), but overall Kid Icarus: Uprising is an exciting update to a long dormant franchise.

5. Double Dragon: Neon

I must admit that as of this writing, I still haven't finished Double Dragon: Neon.  I almost got through it, but I started playing it around the time that I got Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, and as brawlers go, that title is much more engaging.  Still, I enjoyed Double Dragon.  If you have nostalgia for the old games and can get it for less than $10 then you should snatch it up.

6. Resident Evil: Revelations

I wasn't so positive in my review of Resident Evil: Revelations and time has done little to change my opinion.  It's a well made game, but I just found it kind of boring.  It almost felt like a tech demo to me.  Old school RE fans...what's so fuckin' great about "survival horror"?  It's always just a bunch of wandering around, looking for keys and shit.  Old REs, Silent Hill, Fatal Frame...boring.  I understand the importance of vibe and atmosphere, but I don't really play games for the vibe itself, and that's what playing survival horror games always feels like to me.

Alright, now on to the older games.

1. Super Mario 3D Land - A


Great game.  It's the only 'A' grade that I awarded all year, and it's easily the best 3DS game I've played yet.  If you liked Super Mario Galaxy then this one is a no-brainer.

2. Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - B+


I hated the movie so I wasn't sure what to expect from the game, but Scott Pilgrim is a tight little brawler with loads of charm.  If you ever got into Double Dragon, Final Fight, or River City Ransom this game is worth a look.  Pick it up.

3. Castlevania: Portrait Of Ruin - B+

4. Catherine - B+



This intriguing puzzler really made an impact on me.  I keep thinking about it months after finishing it.  I wonder why?

5. Pushmo - B+

6. Intelligent Qube - B+

7. Pokemon Soulsilver - B+



I might have graded his one a little high.  I know that people love their Pokemon, but this game didn't hold my attention after I wrote my review.

8. Resident Evil 4 HD -  B+

9. Kirby Mass Attack - B+

10. Quantum Conundrum - B

11. Samurai Champloo - B

12. Alex Kidd in Miracle World - B

13. Rochard - B

14. Ico - B-

15. VVVVV - B-


Somehow I managed to make my way through this bitch of a game.  It's tough, but worth it!  I probably should have given it a slightly better grade.

16. Bit.trip Saga - B-

17. Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy - B-

18. Bust-A-Move Universe - C+

19. Choplifter HD - C+

20. Outland - C+

21. Mario Kart 7 - C+



I might have scored this one a bit low.  It didn't grab me, but it's probably better than a 'C+'.

22. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - C+

23. Kid Icarus 3D Classics - C

24. Sonic the Hedgehog - C

25. Lollipop Chainsaw - C-


Fuck this game, and fuck Suda 51.

So there we are.  I just thought that it might be cool to take a look back and put everything into some kind of context.

In the new year I plan to continue on as I have been, writing my thoughts about the games I play and the gaming news that catches my attention.  I hope to post more frequently, write a few more in-depth articles, and introduce some new (semi) regular features such as "Games I'm NOT Playing".  Huge thanks to all of my readers!  Hope everyone had a good 2012.  Here's to another year of Console Glory!

P.S. Listen to my PODCAST! It's pretty alright...




No comments:

Post a Comment