Thursday, March 21, 2013

Sound Test: BGM 02 - Killer7 "Sweet Relief"


Hey, people!  Here's my Sound Test for the month of March.  This time it's a tune called "Sweet Relief" from the soundtrack to Killer 7.  I have talked before about my love/hate relationship with Killer 7 lead designer Suda 51, but be assured that this is one of the games that makes me not hate him quite so much.  Truth be told, I think I've finally figured out my whole deal with this guy.  I think that Suda 51 has good instincts when it comes to choosing aesthetic things like music and visual design.  Without question, the guy knows how to make a cool looking game and lay down an interesting vibe.  When it comes to things like gameplay and story however, he tends to serve up loads of clunky, hackneyed tropes in game after game.  In many ways Killer 7 fits the same mold.  The art and music direction in this game are both top notch, but the action itself is often rather dull.  In fact, were it not for the unique visuals and incredible soundtrack this game wouldn't really be worth playing.  But I digress...  Let me not draw too much attention away from this lovely song with my ranting.  "Sweet Relief" is a dark, heady little piece that perfectly captures the futuristic noir motif of the game.  Really, the entirety of Masafumi Takada's ecclectic Killer 7 soundtrack is worth a listen, but this track is particularly good.

No comments:

Post a Comment