Tuesday, November 19, 2013

My Month In Games: November 2013

Pokémon X - 3DS


Up until now, the only other Pokémon game I've played was Pokémon SoulSilver for the Nintendo DS.  In my review of that game I talked about my appreciation for it as an old school grind fest, and I also acknowledged the fun in collecting and training the titular critters.  However, I must admit now that I wasn't very far into the game when I wrote that review, and in fact I found that its initial charm wore off relatively quickly, leading me to set it aside after about 20 hours of gameplay.  I really had three main problems with that game.  First, it was a bit too easy.  I get that it's a franchise meant to appeal to children, but somewhere along the line I got the impression that it could also present a solid challenge to adult gamers as well.  Not so, I found out....at least, not in the first 20 hours.  Second, there wasn't much of a story to speak of.  Again, it's a kids game so I knew not to expect a Shakespearean epic, but I figured there'd be a little more to it than "get out there, catch a bunch of Pokémon, and while you're at it make sure to beat up on the pets and take the money of every housewife and grade schooler that dares to cross your path."  Finally, it was just plain tedious.  I know that there are a lot of people out there who enjoy the prospect of grinding away until they have an army of ridiculously overpowered Pokémon, but the lack of a challenge to spur me on and a story to keep me engaged made me quickly tire of the formula.


So how did I feel about this game?  The exact same way.  The graphical improvements are nice (it's the first in the main series to be rendered in polygons, not sprites), and it's cool to finally see the Pokémon in motion during the battles, but aside from that it appears that Nintendo has done little to tweak the formula of the game.  For longtime fans I'm sure this will come as welcome news, but I was hoping for more.  Sorry Pokémon fans, but I just don't get the appeal.  And speaking of Pokémon fans, let me just remind the grown-up ones that they are playing obsessing over a children's game.  You can cry all you want about how "in-depth" this game actually is and how I'm missing the point, but the facts remain: this is an easy game with next to no story and little to do gameplay-wise other than look at the "cute" critters and pit them against each other in an endless series of digital cockfights.  Let's leave this never-ending cycle of "meh" to the kiddies and support true masterpieces like Ni No Kuni, shall we?


GRADE: C

Bit.Trip Presents: Runner 2 - Future Legend of Rhythm Alien - PSN


Okay, ridiculously long title aside, this is a really fun little game!  I enjoyed my time with the first game in the series and this sequel keeps the good times rolling with more stages, better graphics, and loads of characters and secret areas to unlock.  The basic formula is the same; twitchy, retro styled forced scroller that challenges your reflexes, but the whole affair is just generally more fleshed out.  One point of criticism I have involves the decision to include narration by Charles Martinet (AKA the voice of Mario).  He doesn't sound anything like Mario in this game, but I found his cartoonish-yet-folksy tone to be rather annoying to listen to.  And really, what's the point of having a story in a game like this?  Anyway, this one minor gripe aside, it's hard not to recommend Runner 2.


GRADE: B

Hotline Miami - PSN


This stylish, ultra-violent game puts you into shoes of an assassin in 1980's Miami.  With a look that will recall the neon-tinted visuals of Nicolas Winding Refn's 2011 film Drive mixed with Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and stealth/action gameplay that is reminiscent of the early, top-down games in the Metal Gear series, Hotline Miami is an intriguing game indeed.  Fast-paced with a surprisingly in-depth storyline, (it's deeper than Drive I can tell you that much) I had a lot of fun making my way through the game's numerous missions, challenging myself to beat my best scores and locate the game's many secrets.  Though the brutal violence depicted in Hotline Miami  is tamed somewhat by its pixelated, retro-style graphics, it nonetheless contains some very unsettling imagery.  This will undoubtedly turn some players off, but I applaud the designers for the level of detail they were able to achieve.  This one is definitely worth a look, even if the gameplay doesn't float your boat.


GRADE: B

No comments:

Post a Comment