Friday, February 7, 2014

Console Glory's Month-Late-Half-Assed-2013-Year-In-Review Post


Here we go again!  Year in review time!  Sorry I'm late, I had a busy January.  I'm going to follow the same format as last year.  First I'll rank the games I played that were released in 2013, then I'll cover the older games in their own separate list.  Next to each title I'll also show the grade I awarded to each game.  Links to individual reviews can be found by clicking the "Reviews" button in the navbar at the top of the page.  Okay, let's do this.

The Games of 2013

1. The Last of Us  (PS3) - A


No surprise here!  I called it my game-of-the-year when I reviewed it in December of 2013, and nothing has happened since then to change my mind about that.  Super tight 3rd person action, incredible graphics and sound, and a powerful storyline make The Last of Us one of the finest games of the generation, let alone 2013.

2. Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS) - A


I've always been a sucker for tactical JRPGs like this, and Fire Emblem: Awakening is easily one of my new favorite games in the genre.  While the current trend in tactical RPGs is to create dense and highly customizable experiences, Fire Emblem: Awakening eschews that thinking somewhat.  Instead, it places greater emphasis on story and character development, while still offering reasonably robust combat and growth systems.  Fantastic music too!

3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS) - A-


This might be the best "old school"-style Zelda game yet.  It's better than any of the classic-style Zelda's that appeared on the Game Boy or GBA, and it's even better than A Link to the Past.  Yeah.

4. Ni No Kuni (PS3) - A-


There's no doubt that Ni No Kuni is pleasing on an aesthetic level.  As a fan of Studio Ghibli's art design I was instantly charmed by the look of this beautiful title, yet I was even more pleased by the rock solid game design at the core of the experience.  Sure, it's a bit of a grind fest, and I know that that kind of gameplay doesn't appeal to everyone, but the rest of us can curl up in the warm, nostalgic embrace of this perfectly crafted old-school RPG.

5. Guacamelee (PSN) - A


I admit that I can get pretty stoked when I hear the term "Metroid-Vania" applied to any game, and  Guacamelee is a masterful example of the genre's appeal.  Ultra tight controls, loads of powerups, tons of great 2D exploration, and a bright, vibrant environment make this a must play for "Metroid-Vania" aficionados like myself.

6. Bioshock Infinite (PS3) - B-


Bioshock Infinite was not a game without flaws, but it also had a number of strong points.  Like Bioshock and Bioshock 2 before it, I was dazzled by the game's setting, characters, and overall vibe, but I was somewhat disappointed by the ham-fisted first-person combat and uninspired gameplay.  Bioshock Infinite also had the added drawback of a story that hinged on a sci-fi deus ex machina that left me feeling somewhat cheated at the game's conclusion.  It's a game that I'd cautiously recommend, if only to experience the breathtaking setting and amazing musical score.

7. Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) - B-


I feel confident in saying that Grand Theft Auto V is the best game in the series.  Without a doubt, Rockstar Games has certainly got GTA down to a science.  Yet for all its polish, I just couldn't shake the feeling of "been there, done that" I had while playing through the game's main campaign.  I had fun with this, but I had even more fun with 2010's Red Dead Redemption when I played through it for the first time earlier in the year.

8. DuckTales Remastered (PSN) - B


This is a layup for fans of the original game -- it looks and plays great -- but there might not be much here for those with no connection to its NES forefather.  You were warned!

9. Bit.Trip Presents: Runner 2  (PSN) - B


Solid little game.  Good if you're into twitchy endless runners.  In fact, one of the things that I like about the Runner series is that they actually give you a sense of accomplishment.  That is to say, instead of running with no goal other than "go further than you did last time", the Runner games give you goals to accomplish and actual levels to master.  I dunno, more fun for me that way.

10. DMC: Devil May Cry (PS3) - B-


If you liked the gameplay of the older, Playstation 2-era Devil May Cry games then there's a good chance you'll like this game.  I've never been too keen on this style of 3D action game, but from what I remember of the original series, the combat and gameplay style are mostly the same.  Sure, the mechanics have been updated to fit in with the times (read: no more fixed camera) but the core gameplay seems remarkably similar.  It didn't totally grab me, but I think it will work for the fans.

11. Pokémon X (3DS) - C

Pokémon games are just not my cup of tea.  They're slow paced, easy, repetitive, juvenile, and generally lacking in the areas of story and characters.  But hey, if you like endless grinding, a dull battle system, and tedious mini-games go right ahead and play Pokémon X.  Sorry fans, I just DON'T GET IT.

Older Games

Here are the games I played last year that were released before 2013.  I've put them in order from best to worst.

1. Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - B+


Turns out Grand Theft Auto in the old west was a solid formula!  Almost everything that's annoying about the GTA franchise (except for the dull combat) seems fixed when you strip away the hard boiled mafia stories and overcrowded cityscapes and replace them with pistol packin' posses and the American frontier.  I actually felt connected to the story of John Marston and his family and the graphics and music were highly engrossing.

2. New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS) - B


I like that Nintendo decided not to keep the New Super Mario Bros. franchise too anchored in the series roots.  Instead of once again remaking the original NES Super Mario Bros., this entry feels much more akin to Super Mario Bros. 3.  I enjoyed this much more than I thought I would.

3. Retro City Rampage (PSN) - B

4. Hotline Miami (PSN) - B

5. NiGHTS Into Dreams (PSN) - B+


I missed this cult hit from Sega when it was first released, but I finally got a chance to play it via Playstation Network.  It's a quirky little number, and definitely not for everyone, but I had a blast exploring the game's psychedelic stages and strange brand of side-scrolling gameplay.  Watch a video of this game in action, it's a trip, right?

6. Professor Layton and the Curious Village (DS) - B

7. DuckTales 2 (NES) - B-

8. Gunman Clive (3DS) - B

9. Adventure Time: Hey Ice King... (3DS) - B+

10. Playstation All-Starts Battle Royale (PS3) - B+


I might have graded this game a bit high.  I mean, I stand by my review and its place on this list, but this one is probably more of a 'B' or a 'B-"

11. Gumshoe (NES) - B

12. Mario Tennis Open (3DS) - B-

13. Ikachan (3DS) - B-

14. Warioware Touched (DS) - C+

15. Jetpack Joyride (PSN) - C+

16. Flower (PSN) - C


"Art games".  Meh.

17. flow (PSN) - C-

18. Jet Set Radio (PSN) - C-

19. The Unfinished Swan  (PSN) - C-


It feels strangely good to have The Unfinished Swan here at the bottom of my list.  It's a bit like when the cute little indie movie that everyone loves but you can't stand gets snubbed at the Oscars.  It just feels right...as though balance has been restored to the force.  The only thing that I found charming about this game was throwing the paint around...for about 5 minutes.  After that it became painfully repetitive and I tossed it aside without even completing it.  Unfinished Swan indeed!

Wrap up

So it was another solid year in gaming for me.  I played nearly twice as many new games as I did in 2012 and I awarded more 'A' grades than ever before.  I'm looking forward to getting a Playstation 4 in the next month or so and I may even snatch up a Playstation Vita before too long.  I've also had my eye on the WiiU.  Sure, it's not the most powerful console on the market, but I do love Nintendo games and I can see myself shelling out $200-$250 to play the latest games from my favorite "Big N" franchises.  Still no plans to enter the world of Xbox.  Again, no disrespect to its fans, I'm just more of a Playstation fan and I don't think one NEEDS to own both a PS4 and an Xbox One.  Thanks again for your support!  Glory to the console!!



No comments:

Post a Comment