Sunday, January 3, 2016

Console Glory 2015 Year In Review

Illustration by ElMarcosLuckydel96

Year-in-review time! Even though I didn't play a whole lot of games in 2015, I'm going to stick to tradition and follow through with my customary wrap-up post. Just like in previous years, I'll start by ranking the games I played that were released in 2015 and finish by ranking the games that were released prior to 2015. Thanks for reading, and here's to an exciting 2016!

2015 Games

1. Rocket League - PS4 - B+


Even I am somewhat surprised to see this game in my top spot for the year. I have little doubt that if I would have played more games in 2015 this would definitely be lower on the list, yet despite that, Rocket League is that most delightful of surprises, and it's more than deserving of a spot on anyone's short list for Game of the Year. It's one of those games that was nowhere near my (or anyone else's) radar, but it's just so expertly crafted and fun to play that it can't be denied! Easy to pick up and difficult to master, Rocket League brings the simple joy of old school couch co-op to the internet age in a most satisfying way. Goooooooooooooaaaaalllllllllll!!

2. Grow Home - PS4 - B+


It's not a particularly meaty experience, but what's here is so charming and shows so much potential for a sequel that I'm glad to see it here in the number two spot.

3. Resident Evil: Revelations 2 - PS4 - B


Though it doesn't quite deliver the same quality experience as the numbered entries in the series, RE: Revelations 2 is a well made RE game and a marked improvement over the original Revelations. I dug it, particularly the Raid Mode!

4. Bloodborne - PS4 - B-


While Bloodborne didn't do a whole lot for me, I can certainly recognize quality when I see it, and this is a well made (if totally fucking devious) game. I never could break through the more punishing aspects of of the experience, and the narrative leaves a lot to be desired, but I give it props as a niche title.

5. Super Mario Maker -  WiiU - C


Y'know, a C grade might be a little low for this game. It didn't nearly give me thrills that I'd hoped it would, but it's a great idea that I wouldn't mind seeing applied to some of Nintendo's other franchises. I mean, Metroid Maker? Zelda Maker? How sweet would that be?

Older Games


1. Bastion - PS4 - B+


No surprise here. Bastion is yet another amazing title from Supergiant Games, makers of my 2014 GOTY Transistor. Though I didn't "vibe" with it (ugh.) as much as I did with Transistor, it's still a wonderfully crafted and highly playable action RPG in nearly the same vein of its vaunted successor. A must play!

2. Vanquish - PS3 - B+

This somewhat low-profile title from Shinji Mikami (Resident Evil, Shadows of the Damned) felt like a real step forward for the 3rd person shooter genre. Fast paced and tightly constructed, I enjoyed it quite a bit more than the director's most recent work, The Evil Within.

3. Donkey Kong '94 - Game Boy -  B+

4. Tomb Raider - PS3 - B

5. Punch-Out!! - Wii - B


This 2009 reboot of the classic boxing series really got it right. Well, except for all the cultural stereotypes. Why'd they leave those in, I wonder?

6. Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition - B-

7. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - B-

8. New 'N Tasty! Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee - B

9. Dillon's Rolling Western - C

10. Meme Run - D+


This game sucks, but I'd by lying if I said that I didn't wish it had turned out better. I love a good meme, and a well crafted endless runner bursting with recognizable characters and internet jokes could have been a welcome distraction. Unfortunately, Meme Run is a a minimalist affair in every way. The gameplay is shallower than a kiddie pool and there really aren't that many good memes represented. Props for the "Wombo Combo" reference but, shit guys, you've gotta do better than this!

Final Thoughts

So yeah, a bit of a down year for me on the gaming front. Still, I'm looking forward to playing a little more in 2016. Some upcoming games I'm excited for include Fire Emblem: Fates, Mighty No. 9, Street Fighter V, Star Fox Zero, Final Fantasy XV, and The Last Guardian. I'm also pretty stoked to see what happens with Sony's new VR headset and to get more information about the Nintendo NX. Thanks for reading!

Good night...

No comments:

Post a Comment