Sunday, January 24, 2016

GameTracks: The Punch-Out!! Theme is a Jingle for Gillette Razors

I've never understood why they made him look so much like The Incredible Hulk.

Here in 2016, I thought I'd revive my long dormant GameTracks series. This is only the second time I've done it, so to refresh everyone's memory, the GameTracks series focuses on songs from video games that were based on songs from the real world. Wait, that doesn't sound right...the real world? To hell with it, you know what I'm talking about!


This time, let's start by having a look at this Gillette "Cavalcade of Sports" feature from 1958. Pay particular attention to the jingle at the beginning...



Recognize that catchy little number? Yep, that's the theme to Nintendo's Punch-Out!! From what I gather, the jingle was created in the 1950's by ad agency BBDO for Gillette. Why composer Koji Kondo (Super Mario Bros. The Legend of Zelda) decided to use it for Punch-Out!! is anyone's guess, but I'll give you even money that he didn't get permission first!

Anyway, listen for yourself. Nintendo totally nicked it!

No comments:

Post a Comment