Friday, July 11, 2014

My Month In Games: June 2014

NES Remix 1 + 2 - Wii U


Oh, what a lovely thing you’ve done, Nintendo! NES Remix 1 and 2 are a pair of minigame collections that use NES classics as source material. Between the two collections there are over 25 first party NES games represented, with most falling firmly under the category of “legendary”. Zeldas 1 and 2, Super Marios 1, 2, and 3, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Punch-Out!!, Dr. Mario…. For each game there is a series of bite-sized challenges, and the faster you can complete them the better your rank will be. The challenges vary and often involve speedrunning, collecting items, or navigating a challenging platforming section without dying. If you’ve ever played any of the NES challenges in the generally fantastic WarioWare series, it’s a bit like that but with a touch more substance. Each game plays just as it did in its heyday, and the original 8-bit visuals look great in HD! In addition, these games also offer a variety of “remix” challenges where, for example, you might play as Kirby in a level from Super Mario Bros., or make your way to the top of an invisible stage in Donkey Kong. For people like me who grew up in the NES era, this is a fun twist on the familiar classics, and for those who missed out the first time around, this is a great way to experience all the best parts of these games without having to suffer through the boring bits.


Even though I thoroughly enjoyed both of these collections, I do still have a couple of gripes. For one, I have to question the inclusion of some of these games.  Your Zeldas and your Metroids and your Marios are great, but Urban Champion? Ice Climber? Golf? These games have ALWAYS sucked, and the gameplay twists offered by NES Remix do little to change that. Also, if completionism is your thing, some of the challenges are REALLY FRIGGIN' HARD to complete with the best ranking. Another oversight would be the total lack of any kind of multiplayer options. Several of these games would have been great to play competitively with friends or online, but alas, you can't. Finally, I would have liked to have seen a few more "remixes" that had you taking control of a character from one game and playing in the world of another.


Still, for $15 apiece these games are a good value, and with with 8-10 hours of gameplay in each (more for completionists), they're well worth your time.

Grade: NES Remix - B NES Remix 2 - B

Mario Kart 8 - Wii U


I wasn't too excited about Mario Kart 7 when I reviewed it back in 2012. I talked about how the kart racing formula had become stale and I suggested that maybe the series needed to "grow up" in certain ways. After reading reviews for this latest installment, I got the distinct impression that Nintendo had ignored my suggestions altogether and had more-or-less stuck with the status quo. I hadn't even planned on picking this game up at all, but I got sucked in by Nintendo's offer of a free game with the purchase of Mario Kart 8 (I chose Zelda: Wind Waker for my freebie) and so, once again, I found myself burning rubber with old Mario and his pals.


I'll tell you what, Mario Kart 8 is a fine game. It controls well, the graphics look good, and there are lots of courses, characters, and vehicle customization options to unlock. I've come to realize that I prefer to play racing games on my television rather than on a handheld system; a preference that most likely held me back in my enjoyment of Mario Kart 7 for 3DS. Yet despite all of this I have to say that, for me, Mario Kart is still just as stale as was back in 2012, and I think I know why. Mario Kart games are really only fun if you're racing against your friends. Remember back in the day when you and your pals would meet at someone's house and just go head-to-head for hours on end? That was the best, wasn't it? To be sure, Mario Kart 8 DOES allow for local and online multiplayer, and I DO actually have friends, but these days I just don't have as much time to organize a Mario Kart party. Now, I can't really penalize a game for MY lack of time (and I won't) but I can point out that besides HD visuals and a couple of new powerups, the stagnant formula just hasn't improved very much. Dedicated fans and their children will likely have a ball with this game, but it hasn't really held my interest.

Grade: B-



No comments:

Post a Comment